Sunday, March 11, 2012

Review - 2009 Michael and David Vineyards 6th Sense Petite Syrah



Review 2009 Michael & David Vineyards 6th Sense Petite Syrah Lodi California

It’s a petite syrah not actually a syrah. The difference being?? The flavor, syrah has always stuck me as more of a jam based Australian wine but that’s probably because the time frame that I was first really introduced into wine, Calgary had HUGE influx of big jammy auzzie wines. All you had to do to sell a $100 bottle of wine was tell them it grew next to a kangaroo farm and was personally touched by Steve Irwin. The wines themselves were the kind of wines where it felt as if you were punched in the mouth by the grape Kool-Aid guy. OHHH YEAHH!! Not a lot of finesse. Just FRUIT.

 With petite syrah I find it to be a lot more about then finesse. Similar to Pinot Noir in that it has got some class and style to it. But much heavier on the smoke, cedar and forest flavors. If pinot noir is Lumière  from Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast”, petite syrah would be Cogsworth.

Just like all of Michael & David creations, the marketing on it is fantastic! The Back of the wine bottle has an eerie poem and is reportedly named after a relative of theirs whom had a 6th senses himself!

smell with one nose, an ancient black rose, a memory lingering, briefly exposed. I see with two eyes, through shadows and lies, a secret revealing, wrapped in disguise. I hear with my ears, three fallen tears, echoing softly, heightening my fears. I taste with my tongue, my panics begun, four sides enclosed, melding as one. I touch with my hands, a sinister plan, five fingers discerning where I do stand. I sense with my mind, a thought so unkind. I’m trapped six feet under in a bottle of wine.


On the Nose we get good oak and smoky aromas with a hint of vanilla and dark fruits. But it doesn’t really give any hints to the pallet.

On the pallet I find that it has this incredible full mouth feel that I was having trouble describing but is so a kin to bacon fat that its unreal. It stands up with cracked black pepper and a variety of dried herbs and dark berries.


It was absolutely delicious and a great mid-level wine for someone who doesn’t want to invest into the $90 trio of seven deadly Zins done by the same makers


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment