Saturday, February 11, 2012

Review - Vino 2010 Pinot Grigio

Vino Pinot Grigio 2010


Well this is my first wine review for between bottles. Sadly, I only took photos of this one, as I have not yet mastered the art of videography yet. But soon I will… soon…


Kungfu Girl Riesling
SKU: 745494  
Origin: United States  |  Washington

This wine is one of the Charles Smith collections, best known (to me anyways) for his Kung-fu Girl Riesling.

Mr.Smith is quoted as saying,
“This wine shimmers, glistening pale straw nectar. Terrior driven. Think mineral and stone. Bosc pear, Washington apple, orange zest and honeysuckle. Flavor galore. Italian inspired, locally-produced.”
I'm rather inclined to agree. In the glass, I see pale straw, almost like a white gold that classy wedding jewelry is made out of. On the nose I get more nectarine, then pleasant stone, like limestone almost. It's fresh and has that “cool” smell that I am drawn towards in a white wine.
On its label it claims to be fresh and pure. And I’ll give it that. It’s also very balanced in my mind, with the Bosc pear coming through like a bell. Super easy to drink, even when it’s not quite cold enough and you're sitting in the office at work.

Kungfu Girl Riesling
Vino Pinot Grigio
I have to admit specifically that I love most of the CSW labels, especially with their scan codes that bring you to the fact sheets. I think this is a wonderful use of technology to help the over-exposed consumer find out something useful about what they are looking at. I think it should be more widely utilized by wine makers because it gives their wine the information edge. You go from having a vague idea of what your wine will be like, to having food pairing suggestions and fun party facts!


My one drawback for this wine is that over all, it’s simple. Fresh and pure, yes, but also a bit too simple for me. I’m looking forward to trying more of the Charles Smith Family wines in the near future. But for it’s under $20 price point in most stores, it’s a great little sipping wine. I’ve also been told that it’s a feature wine at Earls Restaurant, but I’m not sure how long the promotion is going for.



Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. I'm kind of on the hunt for the <$20 wines to play with and develop a palette. I also like to use other people's impression's as a benchmark and I know I've seen this one around so I'll probably grab this one when I get a moment.

    ReplyDelete